SailNet Community - View Single Post - newbie
Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005

Eliduc is on a distinguished road

I bought a Morgan OutIsland 33 in March. The owner refurbished it with new sails, roller reefing, standing and running rigging, a new teak cabin sole, a Perkins 40 horse Diesel engine and then contracted cancer. There is no crazing in the fiberglass anywhere or apparent deck delamination. Although it is due for some deck paint the topside appears clean. I got it for $21,000. The cabin is comfortable enough for extended cruising with two or three people. The previous reply was right. Some creature comforts are missing, shower and hot water as well as electronics that were either missing or not connected. We added an auto pilot, chart plotter and new depth finder. The previous owner concentrated on the necessities before contracting cancer and deciding to sell the boat. It needed a good cleaning and organizing down below as he had not had the strength to housekeep while undergoing kemo. He had also stowed every part ever removed in a drawer or locker.Every drawer was a junk drawer. I feel I got an exceptionally good deal. I had a couple of bad experiences with brokers before buying from a private owner. I found the keel on a Kettenburg had separated 8 inches and the hull was blistered after paying for a survey. The boat had been in the broker''s slip for more than 6 months so I figured he probably knew about it. I also traveled too far to look at a Columbia 34 that was in terrible condition. The best advice I can give is to be patient and a good deal will turn up. Old is not necesarily bad. Some of these older boats are really sturdy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook