SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How about a Hardin 45 Thread

66K views 93 replies 43 participants last post by  onnokok65 
#1 ·
OK, before I get beat up, I know Hardin's aren't sexy, they aren't fast, they can't manuever in close quarters, and there was only about 160 44 &45's made, but Hardin built a lot of plans out of Taiwan, including sea wolf, Vagabonds, and I think some of the Taiwan Petersons etc; the 44, 45, and anything else that he could contract to build, there's probably 1000's of Hardin built boats out there. So my question to why isn't there something under BUILDER'S ROW for all us guys that own Hardin built boats where we can share info and what little documentation what little we have on the history and experiences on this boat?

Anyone can go to a commercial builder's site for any of the clorex bottle boats, but how about us guys that have some craftsmanship and tradition built into the boats? Nothing -Nada - zip - zilch.

So....HUH? are we owners being slighted by fast, sexy and plastic? From the commercial point of view, we're old, and we spend a hella ofa lot of money on our boats to keep up the electronics, sails, rigging, lot's of varnish, and all kinds of other stuff.

So the question is, why is this venerable old boat being slighted on the largest sail boat info network in the world?

feeling slighted on the Pacific coast.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hardin 45

Yes the Hardin 45 is a slow but comfortable boat, in a blow at anchor whilst other boats are sailing arround the Hardin is solid as a rock.

Need some advice, has any one removed the engine from a Hardin and if so what is the best way to remove the motor. Thanks. Robert

#3 ·
Be aware that Ian is currently somewhere off of the western coast of Mexico or so...and may not reply for some time.

#4 ·
How About a Hardin 45

Ian

My wife and I own a Hardin 45 in fact Hull #100 which was Bill Hardin's own boat. We live on the West coast of Canada. The interior is custom made not a cookie cutter drop in unit so there is no squeaks. It is all teak made from one tree. You are right they are not fast but what a stable boat. But then if we wanted to go fast we would not have bought a sailboat.

#5 ·
Love my 'new' Hardin 45

Yes, we'd love to see a Hardin 45 forum. We've acquired #118 from the original owner. She has some unique features we haven't seen in other Hardins listed for sale. A small workshop between the head and the aft stateroom -- really brilliant. Why doesn't every boat of this size have a workshop? So much better than loading the guest berths up with tools and solvents. An unusual and somewhat challenging hard dodger that we'll be modifying as soon as we can. Re-rigged from ketch to sloop, design by Bob Perry -- apparently to take better advantage of our inconsistent winds here in the Pacific Northwest. Everything about this boat seems well thought out and very comfortable, so far! Prior owners took meticulous care of her & did not stint on $$. Have yet to raise the sails -- we cruised BC's Gulf Islands last September for 2 weeks, relying on the newish John Deere. Next step: learn to sail. Yes, that's right. We don't really know how. Go big or go home, right? We've spent the last 7 years cruising and restoring a 46' 1950 woody powerboat. Time for a change. Hope we can exchange tidbits with other Hardin owners - there's not a lot of information out there.

#6 ·
Hi all
I am now the proud owner of Hull 80 She is hauled out in Rokport Tx, Having a new Yanmar fitted also bow thruster as i am bringing her over to UK next year, we have currents here. Hope to do Carribean in January/Feb.
She is in first class condition one owner from new, Ketch rigged alloy masts
Nice to find a site for Voyagers
Cheers Wookie

#7 ·
You all belong to an elite group of 160 possible Hardin 45 owner members I soon hope to be a part of. I currently have a beautiful 2001 Catalina 310 which we sail on Lake Erie, but as was stated above, it's a fiberglass cookie cutter production model. Our Future plans call for cruising / voyaging and the Hardin 45 is our sailing vessel of choice. I have been sailing for 30 years and have my masters license. I have seen many Hardins over the last 2 years and have lived and died through you guys from the afternoon with Capt' Jim aboard Kindered Spirit to reading about Aurora's demise in a kelp bed off the coast of San Diego.

Every Hardin owner I have spoken to has been friendly and open. There are to guys in particular who I believe can be a wealth of information, Chris and Capt Jim. Chris is a British shipwright in Venezueala who is presently offering his Hardin 45 Lady Bella for sale. In respect for Chris, I wont give out his email, but I am sure he is easy to contact through Lady Bella. Capt Jim will soon embark on the start of his South American voyage out of Texas. You can follow Jim via Dreamaway.net.

Stay-in-touch, Capt Ron

#8 ·
RGM100,
Kuan YIN Hull80, just had a new Yanmar110hp fitted took out Ford leyman 60 That was one big tractor unit, you can walk round the engine room now. May put a Gen set in. Having a Side Power thruster fitted now, masts down new wind/ lights etc.
Fair winds
Wookie

#9 ·
Engine replacement

Sorry RGM100 They took the Leyman out after stripping all they could off, They chocked it up and slid it over into the Galley, then lifted out through the hatch above. I kept the Bourg Warner Gearbox as these are the best It was stripped and found to be in good nick, got a adaption plate etc new stainless mounts fitted to hull, new 3" exaust, only concern is the acheivable height for the exhaust riser above sea level as this sits under the aft berth, with such a large exhaust no room for a stop **** so we put a heavy duty flap over the outlet.
hope this helps
Regards
Wookie

#19 ·
Hardin 45

I hear complaints about how slow the Hardin is. In light winds, yeah, but when you get 20 kts of wind, she moves quite well. Returning from Belize, CA., to SW Florida, we had 22 kts aft the beam, and with the gulf stream at approx. 4 kts, we were making 10 - 12 Kts SOG. Also, on the trip down in April, we had to reef to keep the hull speed down. That was in about 25 kts. She rides real well. Got caught in 30 - 35 kts with 10 -12 ft. seas coming back from the Keys, and never felt threatened. QUESTION ?? Has anyone had to replace one of the large forward saloon windows?

#20 ·
hardin ketch owners

I'm happy to hear there are other happy Hardin owners out there!! We have been living aboard our 45 ft. Hardin for over 2 years now, and love it! We live in the Pacific Northwest, and our hard dodger with full enclosure is wonderful, especially in winter. Makes a wonderful sun room, also! Planning on taking it to Hawaii in April. Husband wants to leave mid-March to get down to California and then leave April across the ocean! We've only been to the San Juan's so far, as well as just out into the ocean for some day sailing. Does anyone have any experience with ocean sailing on the Hardin? Would appreciate any advice, stories, etc.

#21 ·
Just been over to see my Hardin - Kuan Yin in Rockport TX getting her ready for the Gulf crossing this Christmas, had a few days sail in Aransas Bay got 7.5Kts sog on a reach with 10 - 15 kts wind without pushing her.
Anyone got a marina/port they would recommend on east coast Florida, where i could lay up for a few months?
As with dealing with glass Get a triple laminate 3 x 3.5mm to be safe although you shouldnt walk on it

#25 ·
My dock neighbors Mike & Susan lived aboard their Hardin (45 I think) for several years preparing her for a voyage from SoCal to Turkey where they plan to liveaboard (her family's there). The boat was absolutely done to DEATH, we were all sure that there's a nuclear reactor in there somewhere. I mean backup systems to backup systems and he did it all himself. A truly gorgeous boat. Anyway, they left several weeks ago heading south, I think they plan to turn right somewhere past Mexico. They're planning on setting up a website & blog of their journey. When they get it set up, I'll link it here so you Hardin folks can follow their adventure and find out how the boat's performing.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.