SailNet Community - View Single Post - Upgrades to a Yacht you are selling
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Hi Guys & Gals,

for various reasons I have put my yacht on the market and one of the items I am debating about is whether to upgrade the autopilot. The existing Benmar autopilot has been fairly flukey and recently gave us a lot of problems on a three week trip. Existing system is about 30 years old.

Thinking of replacing with a Raymarine system, which will probably be around $3,000 (Oz $) plus $1,000 installation.

The advice from the broker is that there have been some negative comments on the age of the electronics. He suggested that buyers are normally looking for a depthsounder, GPS / Nav system and auto pilot. The first two are already covered.

If the yacht does'nt sell by Xmas I'm planning a 2 week cruise down south where the autopilot will come in handy.

I'm thinking it is a no brainer and I should replace, however interested in any comments / experience people have.

Ilenart
The boat will sell without the electronics - if its buggy - remove it, and now its a boat with expansion in mind instead of major replace. Tricky words and phrases but if I pose this:

Would you buy:

1. Buy with no autopilot - knowing you can add your own..

2. Buy with a an outdated unit, buggier than all, and now the customer thinks its part of the price and wants it replaced.

Remove it - and don't invest in a new one.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook