SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Grade Plywood?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Marine Grade Plywood?

No worries! ;-)

Of course, I''m all over the map on design questions. I don''t plan on starting construction for several months so I''m looking at what styles are out there and what general info I can pick up on their performance characteristics.

Right now, I like the cape cod catboat style but have not tracked down specifics on it yet.

One final note... For me, the construction process is almost as important as the boat itself. I REALLY like making things.

I also appreciate your advice about working at a boatyard and such. As a matter of fact, I did work at the Todd shipyard in Galveston Texas for awhile back in ''84. Not the same thing, but I have spent some time crawling around the insides of a large number of ships.

Like I said, I consider all the replies I get to be useful, even if the information is negative. I also know what you mean about the financial considerations of buying a small used sailboat... but in my case, I''m likely to get more joy out of building the boat than actually sailing it. (though I plan to do that too!)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook