SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Grade Plywood?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Marine Grade Plywood?

Well Jeff... I suspect that I shall do the final design work myself, but that the design will be closely based on an existing boat. I don''t think I have anywhere near the expertise to redesign the wheel, just tweak it a bit to suit my uninformed ideas about sailing.

And yes, actually I do appreciate all the advice. I remember some sailing things from "days of old" as it were, and am picking up many bits of information from all the advice provided. I''ve picked up alot of the terminology and still have much to go... one in particular is "skeg hung rudder", which I haven''t gotten around to researching yet.

A couple of other considerations for me... I''m not totally clueless... just somewhat. ;-) I currently have a 14'' sailfish and know some basic sailing technique. I also currently have a 12 foot dinghy under construction in my garage. It''ll serve as an excellent training project and trial run for some of the contruction techniques that I''ll use on the larger boat.

Also, finally... am I in over my head with the idea of building a 20-25 foot boat? Most likely! (But that''s half the fun now, isn''t it!) ;-) Also, I''d like to note that most activities, like wiring, mechanics, wood construction, pouring cement, metal working, etc. are scary to contemplate when you don''t know what you''re doing, but none of it''s really all that difficult once you get into it. That is why I''m not really afraid of building a boat. It''s basic wood construction and some resin work (I''ll be relying on tried/true/and safe designs)

A catboat style boat could easily go up and down rivers, couldn''t it?... provided they''re not too tiny and shallow. Here in Michigan, I''m nowhere near the sea... so lakes and rivers will likely do it for me for at least a few years to come.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook