SailNet Community - View Single Post - Night Sailing/motoring and Lobster Pots
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
I'm on the west coast so it's a bit different here. We need to avoid prawn & crab gear. Crab gear is usually set in depths under 60' or so. Prawn gear is usually set between 300 & 400'. I prawn and crab myself and I get to know most of the good spots, so I avoid those when night sailing and I usually sail in depths over 500'. In the summer I am much more careful because the tourists are up here dropping gear in odd locations and depths because they simply don't know any better. When I'm coming on a bay or area where I know a lot of transients & tourists group together, I'm extremely watchful because they tend to put them anywhere just outside their anchorages. When I'm motoring into a bay I don't cut corners as I would during the day, I stay in the middle of the entrance. But basically I just hope for the best and I have my wet suite on board if something goes wrong. At least when sailing the line won't wrap around your prop shaft a million times and you may be able to hook onto it, pull it up and cut it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook