SailNet Community - View Single Post - Combination stainless steel chain/ galvanized steel anchor
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005

Grigrigrigoris is on a distinguished road
Combination stainless steel chain/ galvanized steel anchor

Jack thanks for your valuable comments. Just to remind you, my motivation for using an ss chain is to avoid the big pile up in the anchor locker. My boat is a Moody Eclipse 38, whose anchor locker for some strange reason does not open from the top. There is a round opening in the bow bulkhead through which I can access the anchor locker. The problem is that when I sail alone I can not be at the same time both in the front cabine in order to push the chain around the chain locker through the bulkhead opening in order to avoid the chain pile up and steer the boat from the cockpit.My boat has now a 25 meter long galvanized chain and a galvanized CQR anchor. The chain is long enough for the lake, where the boat is located right now. However,I am planning to move the boat to the Med next summer and I need at least a 60 to 70 m long chain. I am quite sure that I will have serious pile up and jamming problems with a new galvanic chain having the above mentioned length. So perhaps it would be better to combine a new ss chain with an ss shakle and an ss anchor despite the very reduced friction due to the use of ss in the anchor components.I am considering of buying the German bugel anchor made by a company called Wasi. The bugel anchor has a very narrow tip which helps the anchor to dig deep into the sea ground. The bugel anchor is supposed to bury itself much faster and deeper in grounds with a lot of sea weeds than the CQR. What is your opinion Jack?

best regards
Grigoris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook