SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbies sailing south on the ICW
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreinbach View Post
Unfortunately we don't have anyone to leave the kids with so they'll have to come with us.
Hmm. Darn. The challenge is squeezing a delivery skipper/coach onto the boat with your whole family. I do think that is a good way to accelerate the learning curve.

It's not only about the sailing itself. There is weather forecasting, passage planning, provisioning, cooking underway, schedule management, navigation (as opposed to piloting), and personality management.

Thinking ...

You could split the trip into Newport - Bermuda and Bermuda - Norfolk with parents switching off, but the logistics and associated costs would be awkward. If you do that you MUST arrange a tour of Bermuda Radio and say hi to Nick for me.

I do still think the somewhat longer offshore legs are good for everyone - gain experience, confidence, less chance of bumping into something solid as you settle into the routine. Personally I like passages much better than bunny hopping from marina to marina - there is so much time required to get in and out, register, pay, yadda yadda yadda.

Conceivably you could find a good sailing instructor and have each of you sail out into the Atlantic for a couple of days, come back, and switch off. It wouldn't exactly be cheap.

If I think of something else useful I'll let you know.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook