SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Grade Plywood?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005

Vastbinder is on a distinguished road
Marine Grade Plywood?

Thanks for the advice windship... but in my case the building is more important than the sailing. I''m weird that way.

I''ll have to research on the price of marine grade plywood... but quite simply, if it''s $200 a sheet, then it''s a no go for me. I''ll end up using less expensive materials and compensating as best I can. If the boat doesn''t last me 20 years, then so be it. I''ll build another. Probably build another anyway... just for giggles!

I''m not starting until next spring/summer, so no hurry. I have plenty of time to look at designs and research materials. There''s no need to rush matters.

Through these discussions, I''ve gotten a much closer idea of what I''m interested in based on the uses I plan on making of the boat in question. I''ve found it very useful. My initial ideas have undergone extensive revision... I''ve been given some wonderful ideas to work with... and I''ve refined my ideas of the boats purpose. Neat stuff and great progress being made.

I''m not going for a "cross the Atlantic", "weather any storm", etc. etc. I''d be far more likely to want a water-born RV, with a fairly shallow draft and perhaps the ability to be outright beached if need be. I strongly suspect much of my sailing will be done in sight of shore most of the time. Not 5 feet from the beach, mind you... but not 20 miles out either. Alot of interesting things to see... but not if you''re too far away to see them... and not if your boat can''t go in close if need be.

I''m getting there... and I''m sure I''ll be bothering this forum with many largely stupid questions in the future.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook