SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another guy looking for a boat. Crusing/liveaboard
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-18-2009 Thread Starter
Another guy looking for a boat. Crusing/liveaboard

I know this post has been over done, but I wanted to have a discussion rather then just reading past posts (which I have done).

So I want to sell the house and buy a boat. I will live on it year round. I work so it will need to be in a slip. Most of my work is done in front of a computer, and my boss (I'm self employed) would allow me to work from home on occasion which would allow for longer cruising. I would like a boat that has no limitations (wouldn't we all), or at least be able to go where I need to go. I'm looking at boats built in the 70 or early 80's to keep the cost down, older would be fine too. What should I look for in a boat. I am thinking 35-40 ft. Shoal draft vs. full keel? I don't know. Does shoal draft mean its not a good ocean boat? I believe a Skeg or keel mounted rudder is important, as I have read about too many rudder problems at sea. I know there are too many boats out there to list but are there some that I should keep an eye out for. and other the stay away from?

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome