SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should seasickness keep me away from becoming a Cruiser?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Pete, some people acclimate, some people can make do with drugs. Others never do and, hey, I'll never be an NBA star either, I can't shoot hoops.

The best thing you can do is to figure out how to start sailing regularly, to give your body a shot at getting used to it. And to look into the causes and remedies for seasickness, to minimize the effects on you. Plenty of threads on the web about that. No booze, no smoking, no greasy foods, good night sleep, general good physical shape before you go, all contribute to being more resistant to seasickness starting. A hangover and a good whiff of diesel fumes can set many folks off in no time at all.

Then there's the meds. There's a long long list of meds and gizmos, most work with different success on different people. You need to go down the list, starting with the simple ones and working your way into the rx-only ones, to see what works for you. The best way to do that is to start by taking one--and only one--at home on the weekend, see if it knocks you out or there are any adverse effects. Once you know how it feels to simply USE the med, you can use it on the boat and you don't have to worry about whether you are also imagining effects from the drugs.

Only one way to find out if you can live the dream: Step up and try it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook