SailNet Community - View Single Post - Girl named Bill?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Depends

If it is a true Cat 2+ hurricane and you're right it's path when it hits land, hauling your boat is the only way to minimize the chance of damage. When I mean haul, I don't mean just pull it out of the water and store it near a dock or the water, I mean haul it to an area outside of the storm surge. Even with that, extreme winds can cause a lot of damage.

If you are on the edge of hurricane and it is a weak one. Leaving it in the water may be okay, but like AlanBrown says, pull as much stuff off the boat and either store it at home or inside the boat. We have never pulled our boat, but where I am typically doesn't get hurricane landfall. We do get Nor'easters though and some pretty bad. We remove all sails from the boat. If it is going to be real bad 70+ mph winds, we remove the boom also. All halyards are strapped to the mast. We remove the mooring pick-up buoy and store below. We make sure nothing is loose on the deck and anything that can blow off or around is removed or well secured down. Except for the cockpit drain cupper seacocks, all are closed and batteries are fully charged. As sson as the storm is over and it is safe, we go to the boat and inspect.

I guess the big question to ask yourself is, is it worth the $500 or so to haul your boat onto land to minimize your chance of damage from a direct hit? If your boat is worth a grand, probably not. If it's worth a $500K, than I think you have your answer.

DrB