SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

R&D (PYI) Motor Mounts for Yanmar

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jason3317 
#1 ·
I am considering replacement of the motor mounts for a 2GM20F. Does anyone have direct experience with the R&D mounts marketed by PYI?

http://www.pyiinc.com/images/pdf/rd/RD%20MOUNTS%20FOR%20YANMAR.pdf

In my experience, the aftermarket can come up with some good stuff that offers better performance than OEM...but not sure in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

#2 ·
No personal experience, but what I've read about using aftermarket mounts on Yanmar engines does not favor aftermarket. I plan to replace the mounts on our 2GM this winter and have already decided to bite the bullet and go with OEM. I know they are very expensive, but from my research are worth it based on the cost to hassle ratio.

#3 ·
i have pondered the same thing. a local yanmar place said the pyi are fine but they are stiffer so you will get more vibration in the hull. i will wind up putting them in at some point. at some point someone will tell ya the yanmars are enginered with the motor and they are different for front and back, and you need to use the yanmar mount

#7 ·
Yes. The new (OEM Yanmar) mounts were installed last season. Although it didnt ultimately fix the vibration issue, I am satisfied with the result. I don't recall the total cost, I think it was 10 hours of labor + $250 parts cost.

I noticed the new mounts greatly improved the drivetrains ability to transfer power, plus the engine is rock solid stable at crusing RPM.

Jason

#8 ·
I have the same engine in our Islander....how do you decide it's time to replace the mounts. It has crossed my mind also. This one does a fair amount of movement when idling/low rpms. Once moving along it does seem pretty smooth. Just wondering. Thanks
Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.