SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any one else nervous
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005

waltward is on a distinguished road
Any one else nervous

Who knows what is going on here at SailNet. One of the sad things, if all of this goes down, is all of the stuff in the archives. There is welth of knowlage just in the Article archives alone, and then another wealth of knowlage in the Message Board archives.

In an effort to be prepared, I sent a e-mail to Sam & Cheryl over at SailJazz. I am going to try to copy my note to them, and Cheryl''s reply below.

Sam & Cheryl

Do you have any plans of doing a message board?

I am afraid things are starting to come apart at Sailnet. The message board system that you set up there has provided a lot of sailors with a place to go for information relating to our own problems, or to just spend time reading a lot of interesting questions and the answers from one sailor offering to help another. I have no doubt that a few friendships have been formed as a result of the message boards. Through the years I have not been able to buy enough product from Sailnet to be suportive, only a couple of very small purchases, however, I have enjoyed being a Sail Perks member to help support the message boards. If you do decide to get into a message board program, I for one will be happy to become a "Sail Jazz" member in an effort to support it.

You guys are doing a nice job with Articles, that is one thing that has already gone to pot over at SailNet. Your Email Forums seem to be some what like your old Email Lists at the other place. All you need now is the message board to be complete.

If you do get into a message board -- PLEASE -- use the same format that exists at Sailnet! It is simple and it works. It is the best one, and the least confusing message board format on the internet.

Thank You For Your Time

Walt Ward
Boyne City, Mi. ------ North end of Lake Michigan
---------------------------------------------

Walt,

As a matter of fact we do intend on launching a message board. I can not promise it will be exactly the same, but I''m sure it will be as simple to use. Our first dock talk is in the cue to be launched next week and the message board will be next.

Yes, our email forums are the same product as the other place :-) because we liked it so much. However, we''ve made some improvements. We added an easier interface for joining the list plus categorized the list to make browsing and selecting easier on the user. Plus we took out the @ on the address and replaced it with # to make it more difficult for scammers to pick them up. Protecting our list as much as possible has always been a priority for Sam and me.

Thanks for your email -- we appreciate your support.

Regards,
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook