SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rules Brainteaser
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
One more comment (I'm breaking in a Dell mini 10 right now , so bear with my verbosity). I cruise in a C&C 27 but I also have many years' experience cruising Georgian Bay in powerboats, the last being a Fairline 29, and I'm sympathetic to the plight of powerboaters where sailboats and colregs are concerned. As sailors, you can't count on powerboater to understand that your course is restricted when sailing hard on the wind, or that in light shifty winds you might have to change course 20-30 degrees all of a sudden not to go into irons. When I'm sailing I eyeball powerboats from a long way away and try to do as little as possible that will confuse them as the gap between us closes.
Having said that, some of the worst boaters I've seen for right-of-way infractions are sailors under power. Some people seem to have punched waypoints into a gps and refuse to alter course nomatter what. As a sailor, there's little that's more annoying than having to tack out of the way of a sailboat with the main up doing six knots under auxiliary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook