SailNet Community - View Single Post - low-budget performance passage-maker
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005

catamount is on a distinguished road
low-budget performance passage-maker

I know when I started this thread I said I was still about three years away from buying a boat, but.... you got to open the door when opportunity knocks, right?

I''ve just bought a 1980 Peterson 34 offshore racing sloop -- While the boat does need a lot of work it also offers a lot of potential. We feel we got a great value, and my curmudgeon of a surveyor basically agreed.

I like the hullform -- it''s not extreme IOR. She sailed beautifully on our delivery up the Chesapeake to Annapolis this past Saturday. FWIW, this boat is the "customized" racing version of the Peterson 34, lightened in the ends (no v-berth, shortened cabin house, etc...) and with a large deck-level racing cockpit, with mid-cockpit traveller.

I am open to any suggestions on modifications to facilitate single- and short-handed sailing of this old IOR race-horse. I am contemplating extending the cabin house a foot or so aft to give a bit more headroom in the galley and nav station (more like the regular racer/cruiser version of the Peterson 34), re-designing the cockpit to add some coamings and seats, and moving the traveller forward a foot or two (to a new bridge deck) while moving the huge primary winches aft a couple feet (essentially swapping the winch and traveller positions), so that you can control all the sheets from the helm position (tiller steering). Then there''s the question of roller furler (or maybe hanks) vs. the foil that''s on the headstay now, and the possibility of slugs and lazy jacks for the main...

I will also be re-working most, if not all, of the interior systems, as well.

As an intersting side note, this boat''s mast was replaced about 10 years ago -- with a mast taken from a J35! (see the post that started this thread to understand why that is interesting.) With the exception of the boom length (shorter on the Peterson 34), the sailplan dimensions are within inches of each other between the two boats. The Peterson 34 is a deeper hull, though, so a short section was spliced onto the butt of the mast to make it fit.

Regards,

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook