SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009

joshw5144 is on a distinguished road
Painful to my ego

We were on a trip up to Desolation Sound from Vancouver. Me, my wife, my 2 young daughters and a good friend. We made it up to Lund where we stopped at the public warf for a shower and quick trip to the store. Before leaving my wife asked if we should get some fuel since we were right beside a fuel dock (know where this is going?) I said we should be fine having 1/4 tank and not far to go. We went and anchored for the night and talked about where to go the next day. I had thought we all agreed to go up to Pendrell sound and do some swiming in what is supposed to be the warmest water north of Mexico (complete lies I say). We got there and it turned out nobody wanted to swim in the rain and cold. Oh well I knew a good fishing spot outside of Gorge harbour and having a new downrigger my friend and I wanted to hook into some nice sized salmon for dinner. As we passed Refuge cove (another spot for fuel) I checked the gauge and still had between 1/4 and E. So we pressed on. As we passed the channel to gorge harbor I called the marina to see if we could tie up for the night and what time the fuel dock closed. No space and fuel was closed in an hour. No big deal we can anchor and get fuel in the am. So we start fishing around the outside of marina Island with nothing but rock fish, it was time to head in. Wind was about 5-6 knots and I thought we should sail up to the entrance and use our remaining fuel to get in and anchored. Wind died and we are really close to the reef. I started the engine and motored out around the reef and back into some wind. Engine died. Out of fuel. I knew it was going to happen. Oh well we are a sailboat right? Wind died. I talked about dropping the anchor should we start to drift into the reef but luckily we were still making 1.5 kts away from the reef. I called the coast gaurd on ch.83 and explained the problem and said we needed assistance into the harbour and to get anchored. They sent out the fast response vessel and towed us in. There was a big spot open on the fuel dock so when I said that they probably don't want a boat docked there for the night. The coast gaurd replied " Nobody tells the coast gaurd where to dock a boat". Awesome! But pretty easy for people to figure out what happened when you get towed in to the fuel dock. Oh well got some nice pictures of my boat under tow and I learned how to bleed the fuel system at 1:00am. The rest of the trip went awesome and we did get some nice salmon in the next few days.

P.S.
As I was buying everyone dinner it turned out the fuel dock manager was there and came over and loudly asked if we were the sailboat at the fuel dock that ran out of fuel. But he came down at 10 o'clock and gave me fuel. Still pretty embarasing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook