SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ooops. Water Contamination in Diesel Tank
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Ooops. Water Contamination in Diesel Tank

Hi All,

I'm in great need of community advice.

I had an "Oh $hit" moment tonight. Earlier today, I fueled up our Beneteau 343 in preparation to go out. After finishing the fueling via jerry jugs, I cleaned up, hopped off the boat and got distracted with another chore. This was around 2 in the afternoon.

Tonight, I let the dogs go out and we walk to the boat (its in my backyard - we are on a canal) and I realized I left the fuel deckfill lid off, never screwed it back on. It rained really hard this afternoon around 4 pm, so I dont know how much water got into my fuel tank, but the fuel fill is right on the drainage channel for the side decks.

At this point, I dont know how to move forward. I'm pretty sure that water got in the tanks, and that is bad bad bad. I have a Racor as part of my fuel system, but it doesn't have an inspection glass see through at all (fully enclosed in metal) - so I'm at wits end on how to proceed.

I've seen fuel polishing systems and seriously thought about dropping $800 to buy one tonight...but is there anything else that anyone can recommend in the meantime?

I'll try posting pics of my Racor in the daytime...