SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ooops. Water Contamination in Diesel Tank
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Just spent the last 5 hours working on the boat. I discovered I dont have a traditional fuel tank. Its a black molded plastic tank with no inspection panel at all. So here's what I did.

I removed the fuel level guage (complicated device, and it never works). That was 5 screws over a gasketed cover. Then I used a siphon pump to get as much of the diesel out of the tank as possible. I pulled out roughly 28 gallons into various jerry jugs I bought. In the process, I discovered home depot has the same Blitz jerry jugs that West Marine carries for $25...for only $11. I bought 4 more just for cruising

In any case, my tank is now pretty much empty. I'm going to let the tank stay empty for about a week and then see whats in there...maybe another round of spot siphoning with my jabsco.
When we go out next weekend, I have 10 more gallons of nice clean diesel and I'm going to put it in there after

I've also ordered a Racor 500MA and a Walford Fuel pump. I'm going to make my own homebrew fuel polishing system. If I cant figure out how to clean the dirty fuel I have now, I'll try and recycle it. In the end, its only $120 worth of fuel, the tough part is finding some place to recycle/take it.

And now, to the now humorous but at the time frustrating moment of this project. I started out by trying to pump out using the little Jabsco hand pump I had since I could get the line in there without removing the fuel level gauge. Well, three or four pumps into it, I started developing a rhythm. All of a sudden *POP*.....SPRRRRAAAAAAAAAYY. I managed to pop off the outlet line and then was spraying diesel ALL OVER MY AFT CABIN. This....sucks....balls. I hate the smell of old boats...the musty smell of diesel all over...and my boat was now headed down that path.

Immediately, I got a new bottle of 409 and a whole roll of paper towels. Nearly 1 hour later and a whole bottle of 409 and roll of towels, I *THINK* I've gotten the smell of diesel out of the aft cabin. Left a renuzit air freshener in there and will check again next week. I think I'm going to get more degreaser (a less concentrated formula) and go at the cabin again next week. I dont want any diesel scent at all.

Ugh...what a frustrating weekend. Didn't even leave the dock for all the work on the boat.

Last edited by night0wl; 08-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook