SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water in the bilge
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
Water in the bilge

Went to button up the boat last night after a day of sailing/surfing and I flipped the bilge pump on for kicks. It usually runs only for a few seconds before sucking air. The bilge is normally very dry. Well the pump kept running for awhile to the point where I rolled up the rug and took a look. The bilge was full to the brim! WTF! I immediately start looking for a leak or anything out of place or someting. But there was nothing. The blge pumped dry and that was that. I went back this morning to take a look and the bilge water was at the same level. No new water. Im trying to figure out how the hell the water got there and I can only think of two things. FW holding tank leaked or water came in through the bilge pump discharge line. Didnt check the water holding tank, but I dont think its that. I think its came in from the bilge discharge line. Here's why. I had the boat anchored up in some 4-5 foot ocean swells. Wasn't really open ocean, but Bill threw in some waves where there usually arent. So anyway, the swells were pushing water up over the bilge discharge through hull and I think the water got in that way. Or, because we had a following sea on the way back, the same thing could have happend.

What do you think?? Ill be checking the FW holding tank when I get home to confirm its not that. If its the bilge line, is there a check valve I can put in or something?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook