SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP: Battery Charging Question
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by pprimont View Post
I have a new AE 38. I have 3 Batteries. Bank 1 is the house with a 200 amp and a 100 amp. Bank 2 has a 200 amp Engine Battery.

I have a 110 amp generator.

I have a meter that shows how many amps have been used in each bank and how many amps are being either consumed or when the engine is on or I am plugged into shore power, how many amps are going into the battery.

My problem is that i never seem to have much more than 10 amps positive going into either battery bank when I am charging. And unless I run the engine for 3 or 4 hours I can't get the batteries up to even close to 100% charged. And that is when the indicator says that the battery is 25% depleted.

I mentioned it to the dealer that I bought the boat from and he gave me some mobo jumbo about how batteries charge and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.
From what you describe you have a battery monitoring system. I think you would be well served by getting a copy of the system's operating instructions and reading it carefully. It's hard to tell what's happening from your description.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome