SailNet Community - View Single Post - HELP: Battery Charging Question
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprimont View Post
I have a new AE 38. I have 3 Batteries. Bank 1 is the house with a 200 amp and a 100 amp. Bank 2 has a 200 amp Engine Battery.

I have a 110 amp generator.

I have a meter that shows how many amps have been used in each bank and how many amps are being either consumed or when the engine is on or I am plugged into shore power, how many amps are going into the battery.

My problem is that i never seem to have much more than 10 amps positive going into either battery bank when I am charging. And unless I run the engine for 3 or 4 hours I can't get the batteries up to even close to 100% charged. And that is when the indicator says that the battery is 25% depleted.

I mentioned it to the dealer that I bought the boat from and he gave me some mobo jumbo about how batteries charge and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.
From what you describe you have a battery monitoring system. I think you would be well served by getting a copy of the system's operating instructions and reading it carefully. It's hard to tell what's happening from your description.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook