SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Preparation
View Single Post
post #106 of Old 08-24-2009
jlmarra
Sailor Dance

Mooring Prep

We are on a mooring and with the sheer numbers of boats in our area I don't think hauling would be an option on such short notice. Would you add an extra set of lines from the mooring shackle to the forward cleats? I remember reading somewhere the owner ran extra lines from the mooring to his midship cleats as backup. I would think to the forward cleats would be the better option.

I would remove all valuables from the boat because if the boat does land on the beach there are those in today's society that think that gives them the right to strip your boat of everything they can carry with them. They should be shot like looters no questions asked!

I would stow all sails, canvas, solar panels, tie down or remove any frames, fold in any davits.

Maybe hang your fenders horizontally similar to the way they rig them on a launch. What good are they stowed in your locker? I don't know maybe they would just add more windage to the boat than their worth?

I would take the dink home so you have a way to get to your boat should it wind up aground in a shallow area or your normal mode (launch service ) of getting to your boat is not available. Why loose two boats when you can keep one of them safe?

I agree with not riding out the storm in your boat I read somewhere the only thing you can do on your boat during a hurricane is die. It's insured.

John
S/V Sailor Dance
1990 Caliber 33
Long Island Sound
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome