SailNet Community - View Single Post - tow dingy with outboard?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
tow dingy with outboard?

We have a traditional shaped zodiac type inflatable dinghy.

For shortish hops we hoist the front of the dinghy out of the water and secure it to the bottom rail of the pushpit, so that it is up and nudging the top of the transom. This leaves only the tips of the pontoons/bladders floating in the water. Almost no drag, safe with the small motor we have in there, and no chance of flipping over.

Having a reversed transom (though only a bit), just hauling the dinghy up the transom is very little effort (it is not like you are trying to lift it and wrestler it up onto the foredeck).

One of the main problems we used to have with towing our dinghy was that it tried diving, the nose would attempt to plow into the water and sink, if we motored along above a certain speed, this was obviously less then ideal. I spent a while "solving the problem" by finding alternate attachment points and a bridle that actually lifted the nose slightly when towing (just going to a higher towing point made no difference. I proved that by trying to tow from the back of the boom, for goodness sakes!)....After a lot of effort and fiddling about, I realised that the simplest solution would actually also be the best one. So far (about two years) the system has been pretty faultless (unless you want to back up to a pier)

Sasha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook