SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water in the bilge
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009

inthesprings is on a distinguished road
Well, the water level still seemed normal. I followed the discharge line to the thru hull and it seems to be a vented loop. The line runs aft through the bilge and under the cockpit where it runs up in a loop and back down to the thru hull. there is something spliced in (presumably an anti siphon vent) at the top of the loop. I didnt crawl all the way in there to take a close look, I just took a shower. I guess Ill go back and take a better look.

I did have my wife fire up the motor and put her in gear at idle to see if water was spewing from the shaft seal. It was not, but did seem to drip more than I remember it. Maybe a drip every two or three seconds?

Two cockpit drains that run aft to two thru hulls above the waterline. Just changed those hoses earlier this summer.

Checked the FW holding tank and its fine.

I dunno. Let me ask this... when I run the bilge pump until it sucks air and shut it off, some water rushes back it. I guess thats what didnt make it over the loop. Is that normal or a symptom? Otherwise Im kinda stumped.

I will get a float switch tommorow. I went to buy a float switch a few weeks ago but didn't have the model # handy. Apparently that matters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook