SailNet Community - View Single Post - Burglary rather than piracy, but it's still theft on the water
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Burglary rather than piracy, but it's still theft on the water

2 questioned after boat chase on Lake Michigan :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime
Police were questioning two men who fled police in a 22-foot luxury speed boat on Lake Michigan after officers were investigating a string of boat burglaries in Monroe Harbor early Monday.

As of 4 a.m. the two men were being interviewed by police, according to police Marine Unit Sgt. Jim Vanvranken.

The incident began about 3 a.m. when police were staking out Monroe Harbor on a burglary mission after a recent string of burglaries to boats in the harbor and officers had noticed a speedboat that came into the harbor and turned its lights off, according to the sergeant.

“Our guys were watching them. As our boats approached they fired up this fast boat with no lights on and took off running. They hit the lake,’’ the sergeant said. The sergeant said officers in their newest, fastest boat gave chase north and trapped them near Navy Pier.
(snip)

I've never had problems in Belmont Harbor, which is a few miles up the lakefront, but I'm out on a can and don't have the sort of boat that screams "Goodies Here!"

I've talked to people in slips who've had problems with break-in's in the past, though. Usually target the easy stuff (laptops, handheld GPS'es and radios) along with chartplotters and other expensive electronics.

So wherever you are, keep an eye peeled for boats behaving suspiciously and don't hesitate to report them to the local Police Marine units.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook