SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it worth it? A nearly free Albin Vega 27'
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post

As to why everyone keeps saying run away from this boat: Are there any specific reasons why? Details please. Not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I recall about 10 years ago I stumbled on an old salvaged power boat in similar shape, though the gelcoat crazing was not as widespread. Anyway I managed to restore that by myself, including a big hole in the fiberglass, and the boat as far as I know is still in use today.

What's so bad about this boat that I'm missing and everyone else is seeing? Dirt and bad paint make a boat look a lot worse than it is, I'm not seeing what everyone else is.
I think you have gotten some very specific reasons why from some very experienced sailors. The crazing has probably allowed water to penetrate into the hull structure. This means that the hull is probably not structurally sound.

Correct me if I misread you, but are you seriously considering a trans Pacific crossing in this? Seriously?

If you do not have the patience of fortitude to work long enough to save money for a boat, how will you afford to buy the materials for the needed repairs? Will you have the patience to do the work properly, or will it be a slap dash job? If you are planning on doing any blue water sailing, how will you be able to save the money for the bare minimum of safety gear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook