SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
Just heard that Laura (her parents, actually) won the case. She is allowed to go, according to the popular press...
Okay, that's a relief. Now we can discuss whether she SHOULD go, which is an entirely different question from whether she is ALLOWED to go, or whether the State should be taking custody of a child because her parents choose to raise her in an unconventional way that potentially loosens the grip of the State's stranglehold on her education....

I went to her website, but for some reason I only got the front page and couldn't enter beyond. The article linked above indicates she will be sailing in an 8.3M yacht ("Guppy"). Beyond that I don't know much about her boat, equipment, preparations, planned route, etc.

Although, she was born aboard and cruised with her parents during the first seven years of her life. And she has completed a seven-week solo trip. That puts her well beyond the vast majority of sailors as far as experience goes. Sounds like she has salt in her veins.

So until I hear compelling evidence that she is not adequately prepared or equipped for this voyage, or that her parents are pressuring her to make it, I will reserve further judgement and only wish her "godspeed."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook