SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My only frustration is that I hate the way our society has cataloged each of us based upon the number of years we have on the planet versus who we are. And I especially hate the way governments (ours or others) have unilaterally taken over from the parents as knowing what is best for children.
I couldn't agree more. Laws about what somebody can and cannot do based on age are simply age discrimination. While people do generally become more experienced and responsible as they get older, the variation between different people is often greater than the change an individual makes with age.

A good example is the driving age- it's absurdly easy to get a drivers license once you are of legal age, but impossible before that. Just a few seconds of driving on the road here in Los Angeles will prove that simply being of legal age fails to provide people with the ability to drive safely. I am certain there are people much younger than 16 that are capable of driving safer than many adults, and would be able to pass a much more rigorous drive test than is currently given.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook