SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance - Progressive
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005

scubaman is on a distinguished road
Insurance - Progressive

I am wanting some liability only insurance. Preferably without a survey. So from what I''ve read Progessive will do this. I get a quote but have a question for them.

They exlude any body or property damage if the boat is considered unseaworthy. So, that means if my boat sinks at the dock and spills 20 gallons of diesel, i''m not covered? The rep, nor the help desk, nor claims could answer it. I was simply told, well at the time of the accident it would be determined...yeah right....

Anyway, I am here to ask if anyone has used progressive and has read/dealt with this issue. (maybe had a claim?) Or if anyone knows where else I can get liabilty without survey.

The last owner had a survey is it possible to use that? Its like 1 year old or so.

I want to be able to get into Marina''s and I want to not have to file bankruptcy if the boat sinks at dock(house breaks, clamp fails whatever) or via collison.

For what its worth, here is the disclaimer from Progressive''s quote, refer to number 9

Common Exclusions: No coverage for (1) bodily injury or property damage when the watercraft is used for commercial or business purposes; (2) liability assumed under a contract; (3) bodily injury/death to an employee; (4) bodily injury/death caused by an intentional act; (5) property owned by, rented to, or in the charge of an insured person; (6) bodily injury/death to you or relative; (7) bodily injury/death or property damage resulting from a relative''s use of a watercraft, other than a covered watercraft, owned by a person who resides with you; (8) bodily injury or property damage resulting from your operation or use of a vehicle owned by you, other than a covered watercraft; (9) bodily injury or property damage that occurs while the watercraft is being transported on land or because the watercraft is not seaworthy; or (10) bodily injury or property damage resulting from racing, or preparing for a race or stunting activity (except for sailboats in organized races).

Rob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook