SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good anchorages for live aboard
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You could spend a lifetime in Florida and the Bahamas. SW Florida has some nice places and lots of islands to hang at. Ft Myers Beach has everything just walking distance and a nice little pup on the water that is pretty much just used by the locals and those on tenders who live in the bay. Some of the more exclusive areas like West Palm, Miami, Ft. Laud, and Naples are ok to visit, but low on my list and not realy friendly for the visiting yachtie.

The keys are nice. You could hang a bit at Marathon. I liked it, but if a hurricane is coming, you are stuck there and getting on/off the keys is very difficult (I am being nice and not using profanity as I am a moderator). So, I would be cery cautious about the keys during hurricane season. Out of hurricane season you will be shopping hard for a place to grab a ball or anchor.

The bahamas will likely limit you to I think 6 months unless you show a lot of financial independence. However, they are very yacht-friendly and gorgeous grounds.

I personally was never blown away by Key West but my wife liked it. It definitely is an acquired taste.

If you do go through Florida, I would really suggest Dry Tortugas National Park. It is 61 miles west of Key West. No water, fuel, nothing. You are on your own... but that is part of the beauty. I could spend a long time there. It is one of my favorite places on earth and very clean. It is like a trip back in time. Awesome snorkeling and scuba too. If you don't get a grouper, you need to quit using the force and try opening your eyes next time.

SO there are my thoughts. FarCry and RealityCheck could help on the US/BVI. I think they live there full time.

Take care. I hope it helped.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook