SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Weekend Sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatKid5 View Post
thanks for all the replys. I really like the Pearson 26 and the Coronado 23 & 25

is a 25ft. boat to much to handle as your first sailboat? should i try to stay to like 22 and 23 foot boats instead?
You'll do fine with a 25/26 footer... lately it seems to me I'm running into lots of people buying 35' and up as "starters"... too much disposable income, I suppose.

Starting a little bit up the LOA scale could avoid an early case of twofootitis - if you start at 22 and really take to it, then before you know it you'll be looking for a bit more space, a little more speed, and be shopping again. For most people it's a budget limitation more than a size issue.

Don't forget to factor in storage or moorage (as the case may be) into your financial and logistical planning. Some areas are moorage-poor, in our area it's so tight it's difficult to sell a boat that doesn't have transferrable moorage. Other costs to be ready to bear include insurance, surveys, haulouts etc. A wise man on this board generally recommends keeping 20% of your budget aside for after-purchase items...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook