SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida sailing
Thread: Florida sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Miami will be more pricey for dockage and you're more likely to deal with little annoyances like petty theft/bad attitudes, but...it has its perks. Hell of a skyline to watch a sunset over in front of Rusty Pelican with a drink in one's hands.

Since my boat sits next to the Rusty Pelican I cannot agree more. My million dollar view is priceless. What is so funny is those multi million dollar condos in downtown Miami buy their condo to look at me and my (low cost compare to them) slip is looking at them. Ironic.
In my area I have not experience any theft or bad attitudes. I love my dockmates and the staff at my marina. It is under guard 24/7 with security cameras. I can even plug into the those cameras at home to watch my baby and wish I was there.
In the Miami area you will pay about $18.0-$20.0 a foot a month ($700-800) for a slip. Like others have said the cruising area here is very diverse. Your 6' draft will keep you out of the ICW south of Elliot Island except for high tides. Key Biscayne Bay is a great area for dayand overnight sails. You don't have to contend with the big swells and waves compare to the ocean when the wind pips up. But the ocean is only 1/2 hour away which provides endless opportunities from South Beach to Key West and the Bahamas. I know that my marina, Rickenbacker Marina has a few opening as we speak. Call Jay at 305-361-1900. Tell him the crazy woman Melissa sent you.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 08-29-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook