SailNet Community - View Single Post - CPT Autopilot
Thread: CPT Autopilot
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
CPT Autopilot

J:

Perhaps you will have picked this up from my previous post, but Keith is no longer with Scanmar and the general observation I think is valid (independent of the ''he said/she said'' of why he left/was fired) is that you can''t go by what Keith told you. Regretably, I have not found another person there who truly understands the CPT product, and Gillian (their Gen''l Mgr) would no doubt agree with that. I think they purchased the CPT product from Charles Pukit in Ft. Lauderdale with the simplistic notion that a) it was a simple product that had been poorly managed and therefore had some upside potential, and b) it fit a nice niche in their biz. Only now are they finding the real level of tech support & service necessary to rep the product properly. Probably a good business case for a Small Biz class...

A couple of suggestions for you:
1. Clearly, the actual install on your pedestal is your issue and it isn''t realistic to expect Scanmar to sort that out for you. I understand your problem as the CPT wheel mounting fasteners comes close to and occsionally can foul my shift lever when in reverse, also. Your options are to grind down the J bolts and/or anything else that conflicts with the shift lever, the shift lever itself, or to move the wheel aft on its shaft a bit. This latter step should be easy to do, as you probably have a split ring serving to keep the wheel from moving further forward on the shaft (and the nut holding it from moving aft), and you could install a spacer aft of the split ring after removing the wheel. Take a close look at your wheel arrangement (Edson?) to see what I''m describing.
2. You may find it easier/less expensive to get parts from Scanmar now than before. Since their ''product management'' slot for the CPT is gone, perhaps someone there would be willing to listen to your rationale for the prices of the parts you need being lower. My point is that you no doubt will have a fresh set of ears on that end...

Good luck!

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook