SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Blinded by reputation

10K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 ·
Hello all, third post on this vast forum. I need advice/opinions from those who have been there.

The dream; Retire in 6 years at 39 years of age and want to live.

The means; Little debt other than my house and truck. Substantial disposable income. Good retirement coming for the rest of my life in a small amount of time.

The mentality; I am a minimalist, always have been.

Now the question.

I have been scouring forums for some time now, read Atoms voyages, Fiberglass Vengeance stories, studied vast replies from very salty people who know better and yet I am still slightly confused. All I want is a small boat- under 32' with the basics or at least the capability to add them, that with a good skipper-(me with experience and training)- that I don't have to "trade in" later in life to fit my at the moment dreams, whatever they may be. Basically a boat that can be sailed single handed, cruise the ICW yet with proper prep sail anywhere.

I fully understand watching the weather and making good decisions regarding when to leave port or not. However, stealing from many years of power boating on the Chesapeake Bay and off the coast of Northeastern Florida, you never know when a squall will come through that brings with it large and confused seas. That being said, a boat that will not fall apart underneath me. I have been caught in storms in a Boston Whaler that by my miscalculations became fully swamped- yet I was able to bail it out and help someone else who was not so lucky...nothing like 20' breaking waves in a 15' open boat to calm the soul.....yea right.

I know nothing about sailboats.

Based on weeks of reading- including many good books at the library, I have nailed it down to a few old boats. Keeping in mind that I don't want to splurge on an expensive boat. I am keeping the cost under 10k for the purchase price.

After creating a long list based off of the following criteria,

1) Aesthetics
2) Cost
3) Support
4) Reputation
5) Inboard
6) High ballast to displacement ratio
7) Standing headroom
8) Small cockpit
9) Good drains
10) longest waterline length

I have drastically shortened that list

All that is left are the following;

Pearson Triton
Bristol 27/29
Sailmaster 26
Cape Dory 25
Albin Vega- though it falls short in the Aesthetics department.

The usage of my boat will be 90% Coastal Cruising for the next six years, 10% Bahamas and island hopping- then, provided cigarettes, Iraq and Afghanistan don't kill me, Pacific ocean passages and Atlantic crossings- with the intent of staying at the final destinations until I tire of them to see more of the world.

I have no interest in a 40'+ boat. (I live in a 2500 sq' house yet use bedroom and kitchen....don't even have furniture in the other rooms. )

Am I missing out on anything by narrowing my choices to these particular boats?

I have a Hobie 16 for the wet, speed enhanced excitement.

I have read all the reviews regarding Columbia's, Flicka's and Contessa's but they do nothing for me in the looks department. To each his own I guess. Some like blonds and so forth.

There are many good cruising boats out there other than what I have listed, but they are either to expensive, ugly or are generally unavailable with little support. Yet, people travel and live their dreams on O'days's and the like regularly. These people are already on the islands in the sun while I sit here pondering on my boat selection. However, would you want to endure a Gale 8 storm in one? Some would say "not in any boat you listed either" but given a choice? The best weather planning is still at the mercy of nature- and it would seem that at that point the things that matter are the skippers ability, luck and then the boat holding together. In that order.

What are your views/ opinions on what I have said? Are my choices sound? Logic correct? Notice that for some reason all my boats are full keel older designs. Why is that?

Thanks and I look forward to your replies. Alan

See less See more
#34 ·
Again, thanks for the replies. I do still watch my posts; they are linked to my email. Anyway, I've been spending alot of time in the library reading about hull design and cruising boats. The general consensus, as is on this forum, is that full keel boats are more forgiving in heavy weather. This, and taking into consideration the size of boats I am looking at. (27-32).

I was on a fast track to gaining actual experience on the systems that make up a sailboat. Many people have replied to my offer to help them for free. As luck would have it though, I had an injury that took me off my feet for awhile. Surgery has a way of doing that. Things are looking up though and I will resume shortly.

Now, back to boats. Maintenance is a non issue, I already am very good with engines, glass, wood and electrical systems. What I don't know is rigging, sails and masts. Working on it though.

I really like the Triton's, they appeal to me in virtually every way. In addition, a very generous sailor in South Florida has offered to take me sailing in his Triton so I will get to actually feel the boat. I believe this will give me a good idea if I really want one or not.

Sailing classes are on hold (injury at first but now due to the winter) but they will resume in the spring. Regarding the small boat; I do have a Hobie cat to play with when it gets warmer. Though they are overpowered and difficult to trim, I think it will at least pacify me while I restore and rebuild the Triton; provided I actually like them. Though it will be like driving a Corvette and then jumping in a Focus.......

Regarding the "Go small, go simple, go now"....I wish, however, I retire in six or seven years. At the ripe old age of 40....:). I've done well in the Army and my retirement will be more than enough to sustain whatever ambitions I have. Especially if those ambitions are to see the entire world before I die...using the paid for 27-32' sailboat as the means. Between a paid for house, investments and that retirement, my dream is an achievable reality. Plus some...

Having stated all of that, I am in no real hurry. I want to do it right. the great thing about this is that by doing it right, I will inevitably make quite a few friends along the way. Through their experience, and the classes, I believe I will actually achieve my dreams.

Now I hope you understand why a solid boat is of great concern to me. It is a variable that I want to take out of the equation. In my travels I am certain that through mistakes, bad luck and just nature in general I will inevitably get caught in some rough weather. I'd like my boat to stay with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.