SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safe boats for the Caribbean?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009

MonoLocoX is on a distinguished road
Safe boats for the Caribbean?

First of all, I'm completely new to the sailing world. About the only experience I have with boats is sitting at a bar on a cruise ship and driving around a little pontoon boat on Lake Hartwell. However, the time I have spent out in the ocean has been incredible (and yes, I realize that owning and operating a sailboat would be nothing like my experiences at the cruise ship bar). It is rare that I find myself completely engrossed by one subject for such a long period of time. That being said, I am looking to eventually become a liveaboard, and I want a boat that is capable of cruising along the east coast (GA/FL coast) of the US, and down to the Caribbean. I've been looking mainly at the Hunter 33 and other similarly priced sailboats. I've read a couple of sources which said that using a Hunter for bluewater cruising would be a very bad idea. Do you guys agree? Money is definitely an issue for me, and I'm hoping to find a boat in the 30-40k price range which would be safe for sailing to the Caribbean. Any recommendations? I certainly intend to take classes to learn how to sail, because I realize that it would be very silly of me to just take off down to the Caribbean with no idea what I was doing. My apologies if this post is slightly messy in form.

Last edited by MonoLocoX; 08-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook