SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safe boats for the Caribbean?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009

lavidanueva2me is on a distinguished road
Great Question-Look at Tayana, Wauquiez

What a great question, I say this because that is where it all begins for most of us! The dream! And to make the dream it helps to think about boats!

There is pretty and there is built ford tough, some are pretty, some are not. What I looked for when I finally got a clue was a boat that was made like a tank! Sturdy, sails well, not hobby horse, and LAYOUT!

How does the floor plan work for you? Most of the time you will spend at anchor. Can you single hand her if you need to? How much work does she need? It can cost a lot more to put a rough boat into good condition than to buy a smaller boat in great shape.

I would avoid the hunter in almost all cases. She is pretty. She is pretty. How pretty will you be in a gale...if she comes apart? newbies find themselves in rough seas sometimes, I did in a fulll blown gale in the gulf, 25 foot seas, winds at 80 to 90 kts, thank god I was in a slow, hunkering tank!

Look at heavy, well constructed, not too bad shape unless you want to dream for years while she is in dry dock, and of course the experience will help you.

Most guys shiver when you ask them what kind of boat to buy. The quesion unmaked is not what boat you should buy, but what boat did the rest of us buy and why? What mistakes did we make? What did we do right!

Good luck chavo, you will find your place!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook