SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone have experience or information on Martin 32's?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Martin 32 is a fairly quick, but tender, narrow boat. Locally built in Richmond by Martin Yachts (builders, in the 70s/80s of Martin 29, Martin 242, Martin 32, Martin 32 lobsterboat, and a series of Peterson 35s under licence.)

I'd say build quality is average, certainly not blue water heavy duty. The narrow beam makes for a good upwind boat, but they are tender and a bit skittish downwind with the spinnaker in a blow. Clean lines, no IOR bumps or anything like that.

The interior is straightforward, more or less standard with less room than today's beamier boats obviously. My major beef with the interior setup is that for some reason they built the settees very low - when you sit there your knees seem up around your ears - not sure why, the boat's got plenty of headroom. A friend with one raised the settee and created more storage that way.

They are a decent looking boat, most with a distinctive broad stripe along the cabin house to reduce its visible height. Decent cockpit too. I think they built about a dozen or so.

They'd make decent BC coastal cruisers, esp for a family but you'll probably need a good reefing setup in the shoulder seasons. We owned a M242 for 15 years and despite some of our best efforts, never really broke it... I've done a windy Swiftsure on a M32 - a bit wet in those conditions upwind, and had one memorable wipeout at Race Rocks... the usual stuff.

I'm sure you've seen this, two clean looking examples available locally now.... pretty good bang for the buck.

martin (Sail) Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook