SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009

MadMacMod is on a distinguished road
Wink Mac powersailer

First, this thread seems to span many years - and 2 models of the Mac 26 powersailers. One as the 26X which went out of production around 2001/2002 and the 26M which is still in production but had several upgrades during the production process. The Mac 26X was a terrific sailor, down wind with empty balast tanks. (that is very dangerous so don't do it.) It had a fairly flat bottom much like a power boat.

The 26M has more of a V shape and is a bit more rounded. I hear it is somewhat better as a sail boat.

I have a MacGregor 19 - the precursor to the 26X. It has a very flat bottom but still sails ok. Sure, the 35-50 ft. sailboats in the ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Chesapeake Bay sail faster than my Mac 19, but that is to be expected with a shorter displacement sailboat. My boat is still a lot of fun. I have had it heal 80 degrees so I had to hold on to the upper rail so as not to be tipped into the water. I have sailed through 3-4 ft Bay chop taking waves over the bow and spray into the cockpit. I have run it aground, and got off by simply raising the centerboard. And I have run home at full throttle on my 40 HP after realizing I was Way Late and still made it back in time to load the boat on the trailer in daylight. And I have passed power boats, and watched them do a double take and rev up and take off to catch up and pass me - can't have a sail boat passing a motor boat that is on plane!!!!

I do have to admit that space and comfort on the Mac 19 is short. Right now I sail with a local club on 30+ ft sailboats, but I still hope to upgrade my Mac 19 to a 26M - or a MagGregor 36 Cat........

Last edited by MadMacMod; 09-01-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook