SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
High and dry is the key here. It was towed in the capsized position, and did not right until the tide went out from what I've read. But I agree that it seems like a stupid skipper.
That's why I was saying that it was probably a good boat for lake/limited coastal. Õ do think though, that it is a problem that the ballast does NOT automatically fill, as you're stating above that the boat is inherently unsafe without the water ballast (if not, the skipper would not be stupid)

My boat? In a knockdown at a 90 degree angle, it would float infinitely, as I do not get water intrusion at that point - further over I don't know, but the point is that it wont stay there.
Again I was NOT trying to bash MacGregors, but they are being marketed and sold here as a sea-going boat, which scares me.
AND - as I've said before - You can get a used IF for one fifth (or even less) of a MacGregor, and that would be safer and - to me - a better choice.
As for airing an elitist attitude, why oh why do you MacGregor owners use that against everyone stating their thinking? I've listened to tons of negative stuff about people with a rag and a stick, as well as being told that it is idiotic to sail an IOR design, and that I have a death wish because I singlehand - but I don't call the people I disagree with "elitist".
I really hope that we can be friends, and agree to disagree on this topic?

Respectfully
-Joms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
It would help everybody if you researched the rest of the story before you aire out your elitist attitude in public.

This is a classic "I never wear seatbelts when driving to the corner store" story.

1) push away from the dock without filling the water ballast because I'm just going to motor across to a different yard.
2) throw a dinghy on the foredeck and don't lash it down.
3) gust of wind lifts the dinghy up against the mast, wedges it against the mast and the improvised "sail" knocks the boat down due to lack of ballast.

This is a testimate to a stupid skipper, not a fragil sailboat getting knocked down in benign conditions. This is a great boat when used in the manner and conditions it was designed for.

If you had done further research, you would have found additional pictures that show the boat floating high `n dry (mostly) with the skipper standing up on the pulpit rail waiting to be rescued.

How long will your boat float while laying on its side?