SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

If Sailnet is dead, why is this here?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I was sorry to hear of Sailnet''s apparent demise. The article abut their bankruptsy that was posted earlier seems to confirm our worst fears.

The question that I have is, ''why is this still here?'' The forums seem to be operating normally. If you go the home page there are new articles and a number of specials.

Here is where I need to plead ignorance. How do these forums work that they can continue to function after the company has ceased to exist? I am assuming that they are on some big server somewhere but beyond that the rest is a mystery to me.

Jeff

#2 ·
Jeff,
Much of what exists here is automated by preprogramed code. As was mentioned by someone earlier, the server hosting this site is more than likely fulfilling a prepaid obligation, not unlike a lease for office space. When the lease expires, so will this website . . . forums included.

Just a wild ass guess.

Steve

#4 ·
To those of you that I have helped, insulted, offended and entertained, I bid you adieu. I wish you all fair winds and calm seas and remember a Catalina 28 will never be a blue water boat!

One more thing, stay the hell out of my way on Lake Michigan!

#5 ·
Jeff

I think, just like in the movie,"2001 A Space Odyssy", Hal (or Denr) has taken over.

So we might as well enjoy the ride for as long as we can.

If all of this does go down I want to say "Thank You" to you and others for taking the time of all of your input here. I have had many enjoyable hours of reading and learning. What really bothers me is loosing the archives of this message board and the Articles.

Just yesterday I learned of a site, -----
www.waybackmachine.com ----------
I have been told that it contains everything that has ever been on the internet. Sounds unbelieveable, but then the Internet itself is still beyond my comprehension.

As a test case I used, SailNet>Articles>Kretschmer . It was a bit of a chore, but sure enough, up came what I believe is the full list of every thing John has written for SailNet. I have not tried it as yet, but we might be able to find all of the messages that have been put up on the board. Scary Huh.

Carry on Folks -- Walt Ward

#6 ·
Jeff, the server will keep doing its job until it can''t anymore -- meaning either the electricity is cut, or there is some glitch with the software or hardware that kicks it off line. I stated previously that I am in awe of this server because it keeps on chugging along, unless someone is coming in to check on it once in a while. Obviously someone came in to place that notice on the homepage about the various rumors. But the article on updating the head has been there for quite a while. This all seems a bit spooky in a way, like we are invading the house of a dead man. Oh well.

Denr -- your posts have always been a highlight of the board, even when you were a bit off course or over the top. I look forward to our daysail on Lake Michigan in a couple of weeks!

#7 ·
My guess is that the server is receiving periodic attention for the simple reason that the business is run on it, they still have assets they are trying to retail during the initial stages of Chapter 9, 11 or whatever, and that it takes more money (which they don´t have) to disassociate the boards from the inventory control, product display and ordering functions.

Jack

#8 ·
Jack

I don''t think they are selling anything now. As was posted here last week, there is no one there. If there is no one there, they can''t be taking orders and they can''t be shipping anything out. I doubt that anyone would order anything with all that has been said here on the boards.

Where are you & your boat now?

Walt

#11 ·
While I have not had as much time to be on the internet as of late, I currently ''hang out'' on the Cruising World General Discussion board, Cruisers Forum and have been watching Sailing Anarchy and SailJazz to see what happens with them.

Jeff

#16 ·
SailNet customers,

I''m a newspaper reporter with The Post and Courier in Charleston, South Carolina. SailNet, which is headquartered here, filed for bankruptcy in late July and the government is now selling off its remaining assets. I am writing about the process, but I''m interested in what is happening to those of you who have been charged and have not yet received the ordered goods or a refund.

Please contact me at kstock@postandcourier.com if you care to comment.

- Kyle Stock
Business Reporter
The Post and Courier
www.charleston.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.