SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Inspection Trip Tips
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curm View Post
surveyor comes back and says, there's nothing really wrong with it, but there's alot of mileage on it, and I've seen this same model in better condition for the same price. In fact, there's one in a marina 20 miles away from here that's much nicer. I surveyed that boat but the deal fell through and I know she's still available.
Try dealing with that scenario if you've already signed the standard Yacht Broker's form. If you want to get out, say goodbye to your security deposit.
I know you are an attorney but you obviously don't know about an immutable law of boating.
Never under any circumstances will anyone tell you about another boat nicer and cheaper than the one you are looking at until you sign the contract. When the survey is done does not matter. the law states very clearly that you have to sign the contract before you can be told of the better deal.

A corollary to that law is that if you weasel out of the deal the "other boat" will be a dog and you will not want it. When you come back to buy the first boat it will have sold for less than the contract that you broke.

Even the best of attorneys can not evade immutable laws of the sea.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-04-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook