SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Inspection Trip Tips
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009
Flotsam with attitude

Naughtylus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Just curious did you pay list. If no how was the matter of price worked out. I assume you guys came to verbal agreement before you sent in the surveyor.
The asking price came down considerably over a period of about three months when the PO and I were communicating. This was a 'limited edition' boat, and so the PO and I knew of pretty much all the others currently on offer.

He was being cornered by a broker specializing in these boats who was looking for a 6 month exclusive contract, meaning even the PO wouldn't have the right to sell it, and expecting him to transport it across the States to their local yard, at his expense. In addition they were going to raise the price considerably.
The eventual outcome might have been that the boat could have taken months to sell, and maybe the price would have come down again.
Take off the brokers cut and he would have been worse off.

He eventually reduced his price enough to avoid that situation, and made me an acceptable offer, at which point I agreed, subject to getting a positive survey result.

I should comment that the brokers concerned are reputable, professional, useful as a central information resource for these boats, and have to make a profit , but for a buyer and seller who had already been in contact for a period of time, their input was unnecessary.