SailNet Community - View Single Post - Investing - Sailing Related
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Investing - Sailing Related

Hi

wasn't sure whether to put this here or in off-topic, but its sort of sailing related so i'll leave it here.

i find speculative investments more rewarding if they're in fields i'm interested in.

would be interested in hearing if anyone has recently or is planning any investments in stocks related in anyway to sailing and what your experiences have been.

i'll mention that i was interested in electric/hybrid propulsion, and while only peripherally related to sailing, looked into lithium ion battery technology (I own a Torqeedo 801 electric outboard with lithium ion battery, which i love and really got me interested) and risked a bit in speculative lithium junior mining companies (TNR, CDO, WLC, MCI) all on the canadian venture exchange and did well. i know altairnano and A123 trade too. dont know if torqeedo does.

not to turn this into another electric propulsion thread, but given the hybrid and auto PHEV developments, electric motor and lithium battery technology for boats has to be coming. soon.

are any of the big production boat builders publicly traded and if so, what do people think of the outlook for them (previous controversial posts on Tartan notwithstanding). if they're not, who owns them? who are the carbon fiber companies? what about the electronic companies, garmin, raymarine etc - ny new opportunities out there? i'm guessing many other sailing related companies are probably too small to trade publicly, but would be ineterested to hear.

it might be entertaining to explore this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook