SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shameless plug for GOB and Bob Perry)
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey TDW - I read Bob's article in my own copy of Grumpy Old Bastard.

That is a crazy cool mainsheet set-up in the rendering above.

BTW - what advantage the gaff have over the sloop rig? Is is more sail area for the size of the boat?
Smack..Jeff_H is the man to talk to I'd reckon. Hopefully he will see this and chime in when the weekend is over. Charlie Cobrac probably knows a thing or two about gaffers as well.

The guy this lady is being built for simply wanted something a bit different I believe. I've never sailed a gaffer so I'm not the person to ask but off the wind a gaffer can be very spritely indeed. I remember one afternoon in Sydney being soundly dusted off by a 30' cassic gaff sloop (sister of the one in the vid) that went pass us like an express train and was not being embarassed by the racing boys and girls (in a non spinnaker race).

Uphill a marconi/bermuda will win out every time although this vid suggests a gaffer is not complete rubbish to windward.

(What is the difference between Marconi and Bermuda ?)

Me, I just love diversity.

This vid is of Maluka. She is a Ranger (legendary classic of Sydney Harbour) was built in 1932 and was rebuilt in 2006ish. Since then she has done two Sydney - Hobarts.

These last two pics are of BP's Jakatan. she was first across the line in the recent Great San Francisco Schooner Race.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook