SailNet Community - View Single Post - pt 30-2 (plastrend)
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The early 1970's was a low point in boat building in most ways. Boats were getting lighter but the structural design of interior structures was not advancing with the weight reductions. Hull forms and rigs were getting distorted by the IOR rule in ways that produced boats that were hard to handle, and which were miserable boats to sail. Hardware and deck layout advances were just starting to come into the modern age but were still pretty crude and unable to handle the huge headsails of the era. Designers were wildly experimenting with new ideas in keel and rudder forms looking at swept back keels and rudders, which were particularly vulnerable in a grounding. 1973 was the beginning of the period when resin formulations changed and so blisters and fatique issues began to become much more common and serious.

I know Plastrend pretty well, although I am much more familiar with their smaller boats. This was a company that specialized in race boats on a budget. Their Mustang was very nice boat for the era. But they were not especially high quality boat builders.

Which, is all to say, this is would be a very poor choice for long distance cruising..Keep Looking.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook