SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

marinas florida''s west coast

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
marinas florida''''s west coast

Looking for a live aboard marina ( for 1 or 2 months)that is close to west marine, a city, and boat supply stores, that is cruiser friendly. We prefer west coast of florida. We will be outfitting our boat this fall and will not have a car. Any ideas?

#2 ·

You might try Fisherman''s Village in Punta Gorda....they are in town, there is a Publix close by, Lots of restaurants right there, and there is a West Marine a couple of blocks away.

The city marina in Fort Myers has shopping and there are boat supply stores not too far away....West Marine, BOAT/US, and others.

There is the city marina up in St Pete, Vinoy Basin...shopping, and boat stores not too far away. Also a real nice marina there south of the city marina....alittle more expensive, but they have floating docks etc.

If you are going into Fort Myers area....I would suggest you stay away from "Marinatown". Lots of reasons, but I won''t go into them here....just trust me... if you were planning on just being there for a month or two....you would probably want to leave after the first week....but any rate they want a years lease unless you want to pay transient rates.

#3 ·

Carli...welcome to the West Coast (a little early)!

A few follow-on comments:
1. Finding a marina and finding one that accepts longer-term liveaboards are 2 different tasks. You can pay transient rates just about anywhere but to get a ''permanent'' (as if anything is, in cruising...) slip with liveaboard privileges is a tougher challenge.
2. The Fisherman''s Village location is very nice - relatively upscale IMO - and was pricey 2-3 years ago, when we looked. Not much is within walking distance, altho'' a few miles away you begin to reach regular & boating stores. Don''t overlook how important a bike (or bikes) will be to you, given your plans - you''ll need them almost anywhere.
3. The St. Pete area is a good example of how finding a slip doesn''t = finding a liveaboard arrangement. On the Bay side, the St. Pete Municipal Marina has no restrictions on the # of liveaboard slips, which is one reason is is so popular and has a lengthy waiting list (at least in my boat length range). A call to them (they have an 800# & a web site - sorry, #s and URL not with me at the moment) will tell you more for your boat. The other marinas in the St. Pete/Clearwater area (incl. the Harborage, the other marina mentioned in the above post) has only a few liveaboard slips and so cruisers will sometimes plop in a ''regular'' slip at the transient rate, a pricey alternative. This ''limited # of liveaboard slips'' situation is fairly common in the Tampa Bay area...but the area is such a great place to be, it''s worth the extra effort that might be required.
3. Ruskin, on the E side of Tampa Bay, can provide you with a liveaboard slip at reasonable rates. But it''s remote from both Tampa & the St. Pete area. I mention it in case you want to reconsider a car...
4. Don''t overlook putting the boat behind someone''s house, on a canal. Such an arrangement is easy to find for those not living aboard, but not impossible if you are. It might be a great initial arrangement while you sort thru the options, move up on a waiting list, etc.

Jack
(Homeported in St. Pete but currently in Port of Spain, Trinidad)

#5 ·

Jack....which marina were you thinking of?
I''m living aboard down here at Burnt Store Marina & Country Club....kinda remote, not close to anything (10 miles to nearest anything) which is the way we like it, but the only other marinas I know of on Charlotte Harbor is the Punta Gorda City Marina, a marina sort of, Gasparilla Marina out by Placida, Fisherman''s Village in Punta Gorda, and there is supposed to be one at Boca Grande and I think a new one in Englewood, Talisman Marina on the ICW at Lemon Bay, just inside Stump Pass/Little Gasparilla. Those are the only ones I know of around here. If you can think of the name of the other one you are thinking about...let us know.

There is also a marina in the center of Sarasota....rates on transient slips are high, but you can anchor out. Stores pretty close by, but you would need to use at least a bike.

Nothing will be that close to everything, and you will need at least a bike or public transit to get around. Florida planners never considered people without cars when they laid out towns and such.

#6 ·

Carli......if you want to have pretty much the whole enchilada at once.... I just remembered one of the nicest marinas in FL.:
Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach. Its downtown, has a West Marine store on the property, and restaurants, stores, post office, farmers market and everything else mostly within walking distance. You would want to call them and reserve a slip in advance. I know in the winter they are pretty much booked up. They do allow liveaboards and they had a great staff and floating docks in most of the marina.

#7 ·

Fishermans Village is on the Punta Gorda side.
I had a boat there untill last year.
Expect high dock fees. and tourists abound
walking the docks
From there if you stay on the Punta Gorda Side, one has to walk several blocks south to the West Marine by the Laundry on the Junction od Taylor Rd and 41 N
Long walk
Now you can public anchorage across the harbor on the Port Charlotte side by thr Raw Bar.. You must dingy ashore.
Its about a 2? block walk to Port Charlotte
West Marine and Stores abound.
Punta Gorda {city proper} does not allow anchorage for more than 24 hrs. Outside of a Marina.
Punta Gorda City has a marina and fishing pier that rents for $1000 a year. Most of the areas Trawlers are there. SECURITY IS NEXT TO NILL.
Shopping is close along with a PO.
Several Marinas are up the Peace River {off Charlotte Harbor} and fairly cheap..But no store about except ship stores and inflated prices.
If you dont mind the price Fishermans has it all..But you will pay dear.
Gasprilla Marina is great for liveaboards..
Has a fairly decent store and mail pick up and delivery..
Going anywhere from there requires a car...
Palm Island is fairly close to a store, but high rent.
Boca Grande is premo has everything one would need, but high priced.
Best "cheap" way is the 2 public anchorages in Charlotte Harbor on the 41N side of the bridge. But expect to dingy...

#8 ·

Jack
Fishermans is the most trendy in Punta Gorda.
Unless one considers Punta Gorda Sailing Club. {private membership}
Or Punta Gorda Isles Marina {private}
There are 6 marinas right in Charlotte Harbor. And 2 on the Peace River {one I would not recomend}
Other than Fishermans on the Western Side of Punta Gorda, one should avoid the marinas..
But Holiday Inn {between the N/S bridges in PG is opening up a new Marina if not already open.. I see a few boats there almost every day.
The dock rent now for my 45ft.. with electric/cable/phone and garbage moored in front of the Blacksheep would be $401 per month at Fishermans.
That would buy alot of Scotland finest Scotch.
IronWind

#9 ·

Rob
Talisman Marina is super high !!
We went over there to a Friends House off of Lemon Bay. we picked them up dockside and went to Talisman Marina Res.
The whole area is outa reason, Water traffic on the Lemon Bay /Stump Pass is terrible on weekends.
Donwn close to you, what was the name of the Marina that caught fire while back?? The one close to the fish market??
Tis on the same road I think as you are going to Burnt store.
He hauled a Boat for me from Mystic CT.
Just forgot his name.
And you are right about Marinatown in Ft Myers..
IronWind

#10 ·

I honestly don''t know of a marina that caught fire over here. I''m trying to think of where there is another marina off of Burnt Stre Road......was in in the area called Pirate''s Harbor? Now you''ve got me curious. It wasn''t one of the ones off of Alligator Creek that are more like work yard marinas?

For whats its worth....anyone interested in anchoring east of US-41 in the Peace River - or going to a marina there....the US-41 bridges are 45''. My Morgan 33 OI has a 47'' mast and I can''t get under them.

#11 ·

Rob
It comes to me now. Its Riveria Marina...They had the fire that got office and one of the Docks. More like a working mans Marina/Workyard and highly cluttered.
Sunline had a whole story of it.
Yes the 41 bridges have to be watched for clearance.
Other one is up on the Peace River.. Nav-a-gator Marina....some horror stories there
Never go there with any kind of draft. as shoaling is so bad.
Classify Navigator with Marinatown of Ft Myers...One of those creepy places thats ok in a blow, but come calm best to leave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.