SailNet Community - View Single Post - Look for Bristol 28 owners
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009

SkiGull is on a distinguished road
Seth
I been sail on Ski Gull for over 10 years.
I am the 4th owner of Hull #1 Bristol 28. Eastport Yacht Sales used a picture of my boat out of the water in the ad the ran on yachtworld.com to sell your 28.
I am told by my Stepfather my boat has some Intersting history.
I told around 1972 #1 hull was taken to a boat show as bare boat with no interior or engine to sell orders. She was later sold to be raced out of Marblehead Ma. When I stipped the bottom paint #1 had a old boot stripe 6 to 8 inchs lower. I was told the 1st owner sold a line of Ski boats and that is were the name Ski Gull came from. Ski Gull later had the interior and engine installed. I have seen the interior of one other 28 and it was very fancy lot more wood work. Ski Gull's interior looks just like your #9. So I wonder if Ski Gull was returned to Bristol about the time #9 was out fitted to have the interoir installed or if they just copied one of the sister ships. Ski Gull's 2nd owner was a Dentist. After only couple years the Dentist sold Ski Gull to my Stepfather in 1978. My stepfather sail her out of Ipswich, Massachusetts untill the late 1980's When he mover her to the north Chesapeake Bay. A Few years later He mover her close to Oriental NC. After spend 20 years in the Navy and Navy Reserve working on fighter Jets. my stepfather got me hook on sailing. I got Ski Gull in in 2004. I Move Ski Gull to Washinton NC about 4 Years ago
My Stepfather said he spoke to someone at Bristol Yachts in 1978 who told him the were only 7 hulls layed up for the 28's. Ski Gull is a USCG document boat since new and is listed as Hull #1 on that paperwork.
I do not doubt that your 28 was hull # 9 as Hull #8 is already listed on the Bristol owners web site. Understood from Eastpost Yacht sales web site that the Bristol plaque in the cockpit had a #9 on it . The cockpit plaque on hull #1 has 302. I think the plaque on #1 was left over from another run of boats. I not sure how many 28 Bristol layed up, at this Point I have heard a number as high as 30. But if there are 30 other 28's they in hiding. I been looking for other 28's on the internet for years now and I have only seen 4 28's every listed.
As I said I am trying to gather information on the Bristol 28's. So any Information you can send me about the Your 28 would be helpful. pictures copies of old records on just the oral history on your 28. Once I get it together I send a copy to you.
For some reason I could not see the picture in the Link.
I think you going to be very happy with your boat. She feel big but handle small. I only caution you to reef sooner then later as she have a good bit of weather helm in a sudden blow.
We heading out today hope to sail to ocracoke
Let try to keep in touch.
Les

Last edited by SkiGull; 10-12-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook