SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mac 26M owners bite back
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
You would think, if it is such bad form to "float old threads" then something should be done to prevent such an atrocious act. Perhaps banning the offender for a year, locking any thread after 6 mos., etc.

I find it funny why some people seem to get so bent out of shape.
No one is bent out of shape, nor has anyone except you suggested any punishment for floating an old thread. Generally speaking, when an old thread is floated, the "offender" (as you put it) answers a question or makes a comment to someone who hasn't been seen around here in a very long time. This is just basic message board etiquette that is not always obvious to the new poster. If someone doesn't point it out to the new poster, odds are that he will continue to dredge up 5 year old threads, and clog the board with old news. Inevitably someone will tire of seeing all of these old threads floating up, and will be much more harsh than I was. I thought I was pretty nice about it.

Sometimes there are good reasons to float an old thread. For instance, if someone is planning on taking a long cruise and posts questions about the planned cruise. Upon returning from the cruise, the original poster may re-float the thread to report on what happened. That would be perfectly acceptable, and even desirable. For someone else to float that same thread, and give advice to the original poster about the planned cruise 2 years after the departure date does little good for anyone. I've seen this scenario played out numerous times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook