SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jessica Watson
Thread: Jessica Watson
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdidriksen View Post
Omatako:

Where in the article does it say that she was at fault? It may very well be the case that she was, but so far I haven't seen any details as to how the incident occurred. While I can't imagine sending my own daughter off at age 16 to try something like this (i.e., I'm probably in your camp on this) I don't think we know any facts at this point in time. Since her press release and press conference seem to very carefully avoid discussing what actually happened, it seems a bit suspicious to me, but in any event I think it worth waiting to hear the circumstances before laying blame.

MD
Well here's my thinking:
  • If the ship had run into her she'd be dead so clearly she ran into the ship.
  • If she was the stand-on vessel and decided to test the ship's resistance to giving way then she made a bad choice. When it comes to a conflict between a ship and a yacht the only REAL right of way the yacht has is the right to get the hell out of the way.
  • If she wasn't the stand-on vessel and held her course and sailed into a huge ship then she made a bad choice.
  • She was in a shipping area and was apparently down below long enough for a ship to sneak up on her so she made an obviously bad choice. Judith Sleavin will attest to that.
  • If she had the equipment that she should have on a solo non-stop circumnav then she should have at least switched the radar on and kept an eye on it or set an alarm ring while she was down below. If she didn't she made another bad choice.
  • If she didn't know how to then she should never have left the harbour, yet another bad choice.
There appears to be a common thread here. If she can make any one of these bad choices when she's in relatively calm weather (confirmed by the local metservice) imagine the quality of choices she's going to make after being for 3 days in sustained 70 knots of wind and a 30 foot following sea, without much sleep and very little food.

So that's why I think this child shouldn't be allowed to be sailing on her own even from one port to another let alone around the world (as flawed as my thinking may be).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 09-10-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook