SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bird poo sux - pix of deterrent
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Bird poo sux - pix of deterrent

So, a few weeks ago, my wife and I were returning to our mooring after a great sail, and witnessed an osprey let fly on our neighbor's beautiful wooden boat. He (the bird) was sitting on a spreader, lifted up his tail feathers and let fly with a fire hose jet of poo. Unbelievable...had to have emptied half his body.

We kind of chuckled, in awe, joking a little...and thanking the gods that it wasn't our boat.

Well, we laughed too soon. The next time out to the boat, I discovered an osprey had decided to switch stalls (probably out of tp on the other boat).

I spent an hour scrubbing, cursing, rinsing, cursing, scrubbing. Plus, we're on a mooring, so no fresh water rinsing. Salt dries and encrusts...lovely. Contrary to earlier in the season, it's been rain-less lately...so...salt and poo. AND BOTH STINK!

Well, after a few more times spending an hour scrubbing, I decided to try to scare him off.

I heard the plastic owls don't work after a while, but figured I'd try that. Keep moving him around the boat so it seems as if he's actually somewhat real. Plus fluttering ribbon to show movement and hopefully, convince him to roost elsewhere. I used tarp clips and tied orange marking tape in long streamers. Easy to clip on and remove.

I adorned the boat last Sunday, and when I went out yesterday, it was clean! So far, so good.

I'll report on long term later...

Osprey deterrent pictures by norsksailor - Photobucket

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook